Thursday, June 16, 2011

Here's the story behind the motivation to eat allergy free


I finally called the Pediatrician after several months of my 3 month old vomiting after every feeding, sometimes projectile, and at least 1 x per day accompanied by a gagging spell which was so frightening, especially to a brand new Mom.  The last thing on earth I wanted to do was to put her on any medication.  She was so small and fragile, I didn't want to put anything foreign in her precious little body.  The gagging started happening more often, and became much scarier when she started turning colors, and was unable to breath for what seemed a lifetime, as she was trying to rid her stomach of whatever was causing it grief. The Pediatrician ordered a barium swallowing test to rule out any anatomical issues with the esophagus.  GREAT, now I have to expose this little being to radiation!!!  I was not happy, but desperate.  The swallowing test came back to normal ($1,500 later!!!), and now onto the relux medication.  Tagament…nope, didn’t work so we tried Prevacid.  The gagging spells became much less frequent.  Now they were happening once a week instead of every day.  However, they were STILL happening and Maria was spitting up after every meal and then some.  So I thought back to very early on to something the Doc told me; “No diary while nursing”.  If some babies have sensitivities to dairy that is passed through the breast milk, are there other foods that can cause issues too??  YES!!!! So the Pediatrician and I decided that I needed to try an allergen free diet for 4 weeks.  This was by no means an easy task for a person raised on pasta and cheese.  But it was totally worth it for me, and ended up not being as hard as I originally though.  I LOVE to cook, so this was welcome challenge to my culinary creativity.

Since we have began eating this way, my daughters reflux has pretty much disappeared!!  I have taken her off her medications and both my husband and I feel great!  I challenge anyone to try this eating lifestyle for 4 weeks…I guarantee you will see an improvement in the way you feel. 

Usually it is just my husband and I eating dinner together, but there are normally leftovers, so I would be comfortable saying these recipes could feed 3-4 people (depending upon appetite). 

I use as many organic ingredients as possible.  However, it is not required.

Manga!

No comments:

Post a Comment